Pages

Thursday, September 26, 2013

There's a first time for... a lot of things!

After our incredible anatomy scan last week, we kicked off a week of "firsts" that still haven't stopped! Each one was a new step towards being parents, which made each one a little more terrifying than the last, but I imagine this is the kind of dual exhilaration/fear we'll be facing as we raise our daughter for years to come. Perhaps this is just God's way of gently starting to train us...

The First Time We've Been Half-Baked



It's nearly impossible to believe, but it's been 20 weeks since we started our injections way back in early May, which means that we're halfway to Button's arrival! (And I know she's going to grow oh-so-much in the four and a half months remaining, but I can't believe how small my belly still is most days!) We feel so incredibly blessed to have reached this incredible milestone and to know that our little girl is just going to bake away for the next 20 weeks (give or take) before we get to snuggle her in our arms.

A little mama-Button treat for tonight--some Ben and Jerry's "Half-Baked"
frozen yogurt to celebrate our little girl's big milestone!
The First Big Purchase


After much research and deliberation, Jeff and I were pretty set on the Britax Travel System (stroller and infant car seat), but we were going to wait on purchasing it for a while yet... until we learned that the color we'd fallen in love with (the kiwi green pictured above) was being discontinued. Oh--and it was on 25% off sale at our new favorite baby store, Great Beginnings. So Button now has her first set of wheels, and Daddy will proudly tell anyone who asks that his girls will be seen when they cross the street! Up next: ordering the glider and ottoman that we've finally decided on--and here's Jeff with a preview of the wood and fabric.




The First Time I've Celebrated Button with My Students


On Monday morning, it was finally time to let the bump fly! I gathered my eleven senior girls in advisory--the girls I've been watching grow and helping on their journeys for four years now--and placed the cake (pictured above) on the table in front of them. Their reactions were nothing short of exuberant--there were hugs from each and every one, a plethora of questions (to find out the gender, they had to cut into the cake!), and a babble of excited voices as they began planning a shower, babysitting rotation, and general care of their soon-to-be "little sister." By the end of the block, they'd tweeted the news to the whole senior class, and the rest of the day was a blur of hugs, cheers, and well-wishes from the students I love so much. I couldn't have dreamed up anything better!


The First Work Maternity Clothes


After dragging my feet forever, I finally bought some maternity work pants (and shirts) this week--thank goodness for GapMaternity! This week at school has been the most comfortable one since we started classes four weeks ago; my Bella Bands did their jobs as long as they were able, but they've now been retired. And the added bonus? Full-panel maternity pants really highlight Button's (little) bump in some (slightly bigger) ways!

*   *   *

With all these exciting milestones, though, comes a time of reflection on how life was a year ago. When Jeff and I learned that a dear friend had an early miscarriage yesterday--her third--our hearts broke as we remembered our own anguish. Perhaps our joy is that much sweeter because of what has gone before, but it cannot erase the heartache of the past.

Last night, a good friend sent me the picture below accompanied by this message: "You were sad that night. What a difference a year can make."


How right she is. The photo was taken at a Zac Brown Band concert last October. It was one of the first chilly fall nights, we had tickets to stand right next to the stage, we were with a huge crew of friends, and the band is one of our favorites. And yet I spent the night in tears. We'd just finished our first IUI, and I was convinced it wouldn't work (turns out, I was right). I was devastated to think of how much money we'd spent just for a chance at a child of our own, and I was grasping for hope but finding none. In spite of Jeff's arm wrapped tightly around me and his attempt to inspire a genuine smile from me, I was just sad.

What a difference a year makes. Because you know what the best "first" of this week was? The look on my sweet husband's face last night when he felt his daughter kick him for the first time. The surprise and joy, the shock and delight was enough to make me giggle out loud. He looked at my belly in awe, hand pressed against my skin, and whispered, "Hello, little girl."

"Hello" indeed, sweet world of firsts.

3 comments:

  1. This post is just all kinds of awesome. I love it all. And I'm so glad you got Half Baked to celebrate such an important milestone! Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Jenn0021--such a great post. And such beautiful joyful writing. I love all of these firsts (and that stroller!) and am so thankful for the Internet for allowing me to follow along from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome! My favorite part was the cake and your girls!! How sweet!

    ReplyDelete