Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Extravaganza

Halloween Extravaganza 2013
Jeff has always loved Halloween. All the way back in October 2006, when Jeff lived in Manhattan and I lived in Hoboken, we worked through our very first Halloween compromise. Trying to impress Jeff with my school-night flexibility, I had promised to go to a party in Brooklyn with him; however, as the hour approached for us to leave from Hoboken, I became more and more anxious until I finally found myself sobbing through the bathroom door, "I just don't like Halloween--and I don't want to go!" To Jeff's credit, he handled his hysterical girlfriend quite calmly, and it only took a few minutes to realize that I was perfectly happy to stay curled up on the sofa without him and he was perfectly happy to go to the party alone. 

Ever since then, Halloween has been about the same--Jeff gets excited to dress up and find an event to attend, and I plan a quiet night at home. That is, until we moved into our current neighborhood on October 28, 2011. Three nights later, we were immersed in our first Halloween, complete with loads of trick or treaters (we embarrassingly ran out of candy that year--never again!), welcoming parents, and a plethora of decorations. Last year, we were prepared with the candy but not the decorations, which meant that Jeff and our neighbors started working three weeks ago on the Halloween Extravaganza that became our front yards for the better part of October this year.

The "Happy Acres" cemetery
The front yards

Jeff's hand-built coffin and the skeleton stocks
Jeff's fabulously carved pumpkin (lit from below and perched in the crook of the tree)
Needless to say, once they turned on the strobe lights, fog machine, Halloween sound effects, and black light, we were inundated with little ghouls and goblins! And, as much as I don't like Halloween still, I had to admit that this spectacle was pretty darn amazing. So amazing, in fact, that I even donned a bit of a costume myself!

The farmer, his pumpkin-carrier, and the little 25-week pumpkin who's on board
Now I can't wait to see what they create for the Winter Wonderland we'll be featuring throughout December!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That is some extravaganza! We are totally not that into Halloween and I'm like you, I prefer to stay in a curl up on the couch while eating candy. But I love that Jeff got so excited to decorate and I really love your costume (especially the hat). It looks like fund. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are too cute! Buttonette is going to have some great memories of Halloween when she is an adult.

    ReplyDelete