Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Why Moms Need a Break


I love my daughter. And I have had time away from her since she was born two months ago; Jeff and I even went on our first Lily-less date last weekend. However, until today, I had no idea what a massive difference there was between running errands by myself and actually having a day just to be on my own.

Jeff has been working long days this week with a lot of evening commitments. Last night, he asked if he could go out with one of the other dads in our neighborhood after work, and I was more than happy to say yes; C. is a great husband and a great dad, and Jeff needed the time with another guy. As expected, the boys had a wonderful time, but what I didn't expect was what Jeff told me when he got home. Basically, he declared today a "Mommy Break Day," meaning that he would take Lily while I took the day to do whatever made me happy. I couldn't get over the incredible gift of time I'd been given!

So, today, Lily spent the day with her daddy in Georgetown. They walked the waterfront, fought to find a place with a changing table in a mens' room (seriously, world--it's acceptable to assume dads don't have little ones to change?!?), and had bottles (beer for Daddy, milk for Lily) outside in the sunshine. And while all that was happening, I had my first pedicure in nearly a year, had lunch with my awesome friend M. out in the sunshine, drank the first cosmo I'd had since before I got pregnant, and sat outside with a glass of wine, happily reading my Kindle without a care.

It's one thing to be a husband. It's another thing to be a father to a daughter. But it is a completely different thing to be a father to your wife. Today, Jeff gave me the gift of Mommy's Break Day, the gift of time with myself and with a close friend, the gift of realizing I am still someone independent of Lily. And, while I couldn't wait to snuggle my little peanut when I got home, I'll be remembering that cosmo in the springtime sun for many days to come.


4 comments:

  1. I love it! Jeff is the best and I'm so glad he recognized you needed a break day. You look so cute in that spring dress sitting in the sunshine sipping your cosmo! :D

    Now if only I could find a way to come down there for your next Mommy Break Day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are SO awesome! Keep all the great stuff happening. It is what makes it all work. Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tory! I found your blog! It was fun chatting the other night. I hope the weather cooperates, and we can have many more nights of hanging out in the neighborhood! - Renee (www.feedingourlives.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an amazing day and I'm so happy you got to have it. You and Jeff are a wonderful team.

    ReplyDelete