Pages

Monday, April 28, 2014

Cute as a Button?


This is what most of our days look like lately.

"They" say that 3 months is when babies really start evening out, start developing a schedule, start waking less during the night, but Lily apparently missed that memo. Instead, our sweet-tempered, easily scheduled, all-star nurser has turned into a difficult, unpredictable little screamer who has left her parents exhausted and exceedingly confused. And, while I understand that babies will be babies and that my love of a routine will not translate into Lily actually keeping one, the last couple of weeks have felt, at times, even more challenging than those first two weeks did. Once again, I don't always know how to soothe my daughter, I can't predict when she'll need to nurse or need to nap, and I find myself over-tired, under-nourished, and lacking patience at the end of the day.

I suppose I'm learning what it means to be a mom in these moments, and--while it seems like it will be so much easier when she can tell me what's wrong or entertain herself for a few hours--I know those stages will come with their own challenges, too. Sometimes, it seems like her toughest moments are designed to help me grow in my flexibility with whatever the world throws at me. I'm learning that a screaming baby doesn't surprise the people around me nearly as much as it surprises me, that sympathetic looks from other moms as she wails in the grocery store don't mean they think I'm doing a bad job as a mom but, rather, indicate their empathy for the exhaustion and frustration they can read on my face. I'm also learning to ask for help, to know when I need to let Jeff take over or when it's okay to knock on a neighbor's door and hand her over for fifteen minutes while I take a shower. And, though they seem few and far between these days, I'm also learning to appreciate moments like the one in the picture below more than ever.


Everyone keeps telling me our sweet little Button will come back, and I know she will. Sometimes I just wonder how long I'll have to wait--because 3 months doesn't seem like nearly the utopian existence that I thought it was going to be.

An addendum: I've been thinking about this post all day, and I feel like it's really important for me to add this note at the end of it. For over two years, I have read posts like this one on the blogs of women I love, the blogs of women who have little ones. I remember thinking over and over how desperately I wished that I had the problem of a son or daughter who cried too much or who needed constant attention--because that would mean I had a baby. I know many of you who read this blog are hopefully waiting for the day you'll hold your rainbow in your arms, and I await that day by your sides. In no way is this post meant to be a "woe is me"--it is simply the moment I'm in.

8 comments:

  1. She's even cute when she's crying. At least in pictures. :P

    I'm sorry she's been having such a hard time lately and making life more complicated for you in return. But you will get through this and sweet little Button will return!

    P.S. You look fabulous in that bottom picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenn--she is pretty cute, especially when she pushes out her bottom lip and makes it quiver (which we're pretty sure is just the start of her perfecting the fake cry that will pull at her parents' hearts). :-)

      Delete
  2. I have followed your story on TB for a long time and remember reading your birth story, thinking how much Lily's arrival was like that of my older daughter. She sounds a lot like her at 3 months, too. Have you read the book The Wonder Weeks? It describes how babies and toddlers go through fussy periods while they are making mental developmental leaps. The fussy periods begin to become longer with the wonder week that starts around 14 weeks. My daughter was in a fussy phase for that one for 6 straight weeks - she nursed poorly, slept excessively poorly (the night when she woke up at intervals as close as 15 minutes together is burned on my mind), was cranky, and would cry for hours as an overtired mess. I wish everyone knew the Wonder Weeks and all the developmental stuff that starts around 3.5 months, because it can be such a challenge for some babies/families. You've already done the newborn period, you think you're getting settled into life again, and then BAM it gets more challenging than ever.

    3 months MAY be the end of colic and tummy troubles, but I learned from our pediatrician that it may take until up to 16 weeks. We had gas issues until 15 weeks. 4 months is also when sleep associations begin to develop, major schedule shifts in sleeping take place, and lots of other challenging stuff for kids. Some kids have the personalities that let them sail through all of this, other kids really struggle.

    For us the magic time was about 5.5 months, which is the start of the "sunny" period after this developmental leap according to the Wonder Weeks, or the start of a smooth developmental period according to the book "Bedtiming," depending on which child development theory you prefer. Most moms I've talked to indicate that while set nap times can appear as early as 4 months according to the sleep books, the average is more like 6-8 months when babies drop to 2 naps daily.

    The good news is that as the mother of a now-2-year-old I can tell you that you learn how to accommodate your own baby's challenging times. You learn how to spot the fussy phases coming, give yourself and your child grace during them, and you know that the "sunny" phases (as Wonder Weeks calls them) are coming again. Now whenever my 2 year old is having a hard week my husband and I just look at each other and say, "wonder week," buckle down and get through it. We know when it's done we'll have a smiley little girl again and as a bonus she'll have more skills and knowledge than ever before.

    Hang in there. You'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so, so much, Katie! Your personal experience plus the information on Wonder Weeks is so helpful to read. It seems like Lily definitely was experiencing a growth spurt or Wonder Week or some combination of the two--she is now back to her sunny self, endearing all of my students to her at school this morning!

      And thank you so much for following my story and blog!

      Delete
  3. Tory, I love your honesty. I think too many people look back and only remember the good parts of all this. Because usually these windows don't last long and we almost all love and adore our wee ones. But when you're in the moment...when the trenches are so real and you're looking up wishing and hoping for blue sky, you do wonder if it will ever be okay again. We STILL have ups and downs (with a now-seven and nine year old!). We have months where we wonder where this grumpy, sullen child came from. And then the clouds part, the sun shines again and lo and behold, our darling is back with us. Those developmental bursts are tough. But I can promise you, they are just bumps. Sun will shine again.
    Squodges (skwu-dges) to you and Jeff. Keep up the awesome posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for encouraging my chronicling of these tough moments, Sky. I often feel like I portray Lily as some difficult child when she's really and truly anything but! However, I need to remember these moments that make the zillions of positive ones even more incredible. I'll keep looking for that sun! :-)

      Delete
  4. Hi ther,e

    I hope you don't mind me sharing a link with you. I read about it when I was a nursing student, and after reading your post I thought I might share it with you.
    http://purplecrying.info/

    I've followed your story for a very, very long time and I certainly do not think less of you because you are going through a tough time as a parent. If anything I think more of you for having the presence of mind to recognize your journey and those of your followers. and yet still be honest. Sugar-coating it or feeling guilty would only be untrue.

    If our journeys have taught us anything, it is to be honest and true to ourselves, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you see my car out front, I'm ALWAYS happy to take a crying Lily! For that matter, I'm happy to take her un-crying, too :)

    ReplyDelete