Pages

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dear Button: No matter what, you'll never be alone.

Still struggling with my changing body, I'm trying to see the picture taken on this beautiful fall morning for what it is:
 a proud mama who would do anything to keep her daughter growing safely and happily.

Dear Button,

These words aren't mine, but they're the ones that have been singing through my radio and into my heart for the last few days.

So let your heart, sweetheart, be your compass when you're lost
And you should follow it wherever it may go
When it's all said and done, you can walk instead of run
'Cause no matter what, you'll never be alone.

One day, I'll tell explain to you the Shakespeare sonnet that your daddy and I had read by your Uncle Ret at our wedding (I've written about it here). That sonnet describes love as a "fixed mark," comparing it to the North Star that guides sailors safely home. For so long, I've thought of the love between your daddy and me as the fixed mark that guides me home, that reminds me that your daddy has my heart, and so my home is where he is. But today, singing "Compass" to you as I drove home from work, I realized that your daddy and I are about to triangulate our navigation system.

As the song's lyrics reminded me, it has been a bumpy road to get here--to get to third trimester and knowing--miraculously--we're just three months from your arrival. And there were plenty of times that I was ready to give up because it was dark, but we didn't because somehow we knew--we just knew--that you were out there, being prepared for us by your heavenly Father, and that promise kept us pressing forward.

And so here we are today, feeling your kicks and wiggles daily, washing tiny footed pajamas for you, testing out the new baby carrier with a furry occupant. And all those things are joyful and wonderful and awe-inspiring, but nothing is more important to me than that you know this: no matter what, you'll never be alone.

Your daddy and I have waited for you through the despair; we have held hands tightly in the moments of fear and rejoiced cautiously in the moments of celebration; we have relied on each other and on our faith to lead us through the darkness. And now, as we realize you really are coming, we know that we are here to ensure you are never alone in the moments of darkness (because, as much as I wish I could promise those won't come, they will). Little Button, we promise to do all we can to guard your heart so that it will be the compass to guide you home.

Because we can't wait to be your home, sweet little girl.

With all my love,
Your mommy


P.S. Just for fun--because this week's photo is so perfect for it--look at how you've grown in just 9 short weeks, little Button! And we still have 13 to go!



2 comments:

  1. You are beautiful. I know you have a hard time with that, but you are.

    Your little Button is so incredibly lucky to have such a warm, caring woman as her mommy.

    PS. I kind of want to see/know how the furry occupant dealt with the carrier. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Stasy, you are beautiful and Button is one lucky little girl to have such wonderful caring parents. I love the comparison shots too, Button is growing!

    ReplyDelete