Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Things That Make Me Joyful!

I've been focusing on a verse from 1 Thessalonians a lot lately: "Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will." (Our pastor's wife mentioned it can be sung to the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell," which has really had sticking power for me!) That's a big task, isn't it--to be joyful always? Joy is more than just happiness--it's more genuine, more deep-seated, more pervasive. In order to let it seep into my life, I've been finding joy in the small things around me every day. Here are a few of them!

1) Our Beautiful, Vibrant Lantana


I know I shared a gardening update earlier this week, but I just couldn't help but include it again. It's remarkable how our lantana has taken off with its second bloom! This particular flower is extra special to me as it's one I picked out when I was a little girl at the nursery with my mum. I loved the bright colors then as much I do now!

2) Combos--My Guilty Pleasure



I wasn't really allowed to have junk food growing up, which I actually really appreciate (thanks, Mum and Dad!). However, somewhere in my college years, I discovered the wonder that is a Combo, and I've never looked back. They're one of my favorite little treats, and I devour them without hesitation (yes, it's likely this bag will be gone before the end of the night).

3) Sibling Rivalry Love?

Our little boy (Ozzy, on the right) is a huge fan of his sisters, but they're reservedly tolerant of him at best. Rosie is more likely to pay him a visit on the sofa or bed, but Guillie (on the left above) pretty much feels like the intermingling of her fur and his might as well signal the end of the world. So I loved the shock of what happened early today when I found them snuggled together!

4) Summer Footwear


I'm a bit of a shoe lover, so much so that Jeff dreads traveling with me--particularly in the wintertime when I favor boots that tend to tip our luggage past the 50 lb maximum for flying. But, come mid-June, the only pairs of shoes by the door are the two above, and I live in them all summer long. I can proudly say that, even though it's only July 1, my flip-flop tan lines are well on their way!

5) New Recipes


For Jeff's birthday last week, his mom sent this delicious sweet honey mustard from Stonewall Kitchen along with a recipe for pretzel-crusted chicken tenders. Guess what's on the menu tonight?!

6) The Model of Summer Relaxation


It's impossible not to feel joyful when this is what's looking back at you--from the bed, the sofa, or the floor--at any time of the day or night, isn't it?

7) A New Summer Dress (with pockets!)


When I discovered this adorable summer dress in Old Town Alexandria this weekend, Jeff kindly said that I could get it! I can't wait to have make the opportunity to wear it (without the lamb and penguin stuffed animals, of course--I just wanted you to be able to see those wonderful big pockets!).

8) That Amazing Man


I love Jeff for a million reasons, and this is just reason one million and one. Here he is, earnestly focused on a game of Jenga on our front walk with a couple of the neighborhood kids. Every time I don't think I can love him more...


1 comment:

  1. This post makes me joyful. I love that you are finding joy in the little things, doesn't it just feel good? Thanks for sharing them with us. And I love your new summer dress, especially the pockets. :)

    ReplyDelete