Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Best Lasagna Ever

Nearly thirteen years ago now, one of my best friends, L, cooked me the most delicious spinach lasagna I'd ever had. From then on, it was my constant request for every dinner party we had, and, in a few years, it became my go-to recipe for what to bring to new moms, grieving friends, or potluck dinners. As a result, when Jeff and I learned on Thursday that our neighbor was going through a difficult miscarriage herself, I decided it was time to dust off the recipe, set my own grief aside for a few hours, and pay forward some of the care I received just two short weeks ago.

So, here's the recipe for the most delicious spinach lasagna I've ever tasted (and you don't have to admit to anyone that it's actually healthy!):

Yummy ingredients, all ready to go!
Ingredients:
a) 1 tub cottage cheese (24 ounces)
b) 4 large eggs
c) 2 cloves of garlic
d) 1 tsp salt
e) 1 tsp pepper
f) 1 tsp oregano
g) 1 tsp basil
h) 16 oz shredded mozzarella (reserve 1/2 cup for topping)
i) 1 pack frozen spinach (10 ounces)
j) 1 jar pasta sauce (24 ounces, separated into 4 equal portions)
k) 16 oz lasagna noodles (I often use whole wheat, and you will need 12 noodles total)
l) 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions. (Usually boil water, add noodles, strain. Make sure you stir while cooking and add a little olive oil so they don't stick to each other / the pot.)


Once the noodles are cooked and strained, run cold water over them to  prevent sticking
and to make them cool enough to handle as you assemble the lasagna.

  • Defrost the spinach according to package directions. (When it's defrosted and COOL, squeeze between your hands to remove excess water.)
  • Combine ingredients a-i (cottage cheese through spinach) together in a bowl.


Now, organize the components for your lasagna layers:
noodles, sauce, and cheese/spinach combination.

  • Put a small spoonful of sauce in the bottom of a casserole pan, just to make the first layer of noodles not stick to the bottom.
  • Begin layering:
       Layer 1: 3 noodles (lengthwise), cheese/spinach combination, sauce (6 ounces)
       Layer 2: 3 noodles (lengthwise), cheese/spinach combination, sauce (6 ounces)
       Layer 3: 3 noodles (lengthwise), cheese/spinach combination, sauce (6 ounces)
       Layer 4: 3 noodles (lengthwise), sauce (6 ounces), 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese



The three layers: noodles, cheese/spinach combination, sauce 

Ready to go in the oven!

  • Bake for 45-50 minutes. (This is a great time to put together a quick batch of Rice Krispie treats, especially if you're making the lasagna for a family!)
  • Let stand 10-15 minutes.


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!!! I'm actually gonna try making it for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummm. This looks amazing!!! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad it's a new recipe for you to try! Kate, let me know how it turns out. It also reheats great (I honestly think it gets better with time); we often take nearly a full work week to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I love lasagna and that is one food I really do miss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Reporting after Sunday dinner - our friends we had over (as well as DH and I) absolutely luuuuurved the lasagna, she insisted on taking a copy of the recipe home! =)
    and I'm excited cuz there is still lots leftover for lunches this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, I'm so glad! It really is the best--and such a good healthy, vegetarian option, too!

    ReplyDelete