Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

I love being a working mom

I could add a hundred caveats to that title, right? "I love being a working mom if..." or "I love being a working mom when...". Or I could talk about circumstances, like having the luxury of choosing to be a working mom. But I'm going to try to write this post without justifying it. That being said, I will offer one explanatory note before I continue: this post is not against anything or anyone. If anything, coming to this realization--the realization that I love being a working mom--has only been arrived at after wrestling with my guilt that I don't want to be a stay-at-home mom, guilt that my new job fulfills that hole I thought was waiting for a second child. As much as this post is an ode to the working mom, it's also an appreciation of the stay-at-home mom.

And, with that, no more apologies or caveats. Here I am: today--and let me tell you, my days are exhausting. Here's the average weekday schedule:
  • 5:00am: Alarm
  • 5:35am: Leave home (in workout clothes)
  • 6:00am: Arrive at school
  • 6:20am: Begin morning workout
  • 7:20am: End morning workout, begin getting ready for the day
  • 8:00am: Arrive in my office
  • 4:45pm: Leave my office
  • 5:00pm: Arrive Jeff's work (to pick up Lily)
  • 5:30pm: Arrive home for playing, dinner, bath, and bedtime (solo-parent style)
  • 8:10pm: Finish putting Lily to bed; return to work-related tasks (email, class preps, etc.)
  • 9:30pm: Go to bed myself
  • 11:00pm: Jeff arrives home
  • 5:00am: Alarm
So, is it easy to be a working mom? Not even close. Do I get frustrated when Lily pees her pants despite repeated reminders, when Jeff and I cross signals and don't get the basic house chores done, when I'm cooking another meal we won't eat together but will only divide in Pyrex containers for assorted lunches and dinners eaten at our desks? Well, wouldn't you?

But here's the pay-off: I spend my days doing something I love, something I believe in, something I genuinely believe will affect the lives of future generations. I interact with phenomenally smart, funny colleagues and students throughout my day, and I come home to a phenomenally smart, funny daughter. I have the incredible luxury of knowing my daughter is happy and thriving when I'm away from her, whether that's from hours spent reading and playing with her dad or from an amazing preschool or from her incredibly invested swimming and dance teachers. 




I love how Lily believes she can be anything. If I were a stay-at-home mom, I think she'd be learning the same lessons, but there's something simply phenomenal about her belief that she will be a vet or a doctor one day. I think that has such a great impact on me because one of the reasons I am where I am today is because my dad believed I'd always be at the administrative level in a school, a fact I mentioned in my interview with the Head of School during my recent job shift. 


As a mom, I believe it's nearly impossible not to be awestruck when your child expresses a desire to be "just like you!" When Lily puts on my tall, yellow rain boots (her feet don't even reach the sole!) or insists on wearing an apron that matches mine to make zucchini muffins, I'm reminded that my time away from her at work has in no way changed her relationship to me. She still wants to run like me, to dress like me, to care for others in the way that I care for her. 

Maybe Lily will go to my school one day. Maybe she'll study to be a vet. Maybe she'll have a daughter of her own and want nothing more than to stay at home with her. Whatever she chooses, all that matters to me is that it brings her great joy--that her mind sparks and her heart swells when she thinks of heading to work each morning.

So, yes, I love being a working mom. I'm good at it--good at balancing the challenges, good at knowing when to shift my attention from one task to another, good at letting the students and families I work with know that they're important--and even better at letting my daughter and my husband know that they are far more important.

In short, being a working mom brings me great joy.


2 comments:

  1. I love this post. And I love that you are okay with where you are at and have let go of your guilt. Because not everyone is made the same! I'm always a strong believer of doing what is best for you and your family. So go you! Be strong in your choices and teach that amazing daughter of yours to be strong in hers too! I love you sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you commented on my blog, I've clicked on yours and loved reading to catch up. You are and have always been a fantastic mom. And also a great writer! I love this post so much. I feel like so often we don't talk about how we are happy with our decisions to either work or stay at home because it's easy to focus on the hard parts of our daily existence or if we are st a happy point we don't want to offend "the other side". I have so much respect and admiration for working moms, and I really enjoyed reading about the beauty of it and how it's been the right decision for you and your family ����

    Also, I did read the last two blogs you wrote that touched on the tyrannical threes and wanted to say I hope things are getting easier. And I hope you know that you are a great mom. Hartley's 3 hadn't been bad but schew, Patrick at not quite two is killing me. To the point that I'm considering taking him to the doctor because it's been sustained months of him constantly teetering on a meltdown. It wears on me and has gotten so hard at times to keep my cool. Kids can be crazy and motherhood can be tough but I hope you know you're a great mom, and Lily is lucky to have you :)

    Ok, end novel. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete