Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2014

I Hate Breastfeeding,

Please don't tell me it's beautiful.

Please don't remind me how fortunate I am to be able to do it.

Please don't show me evidence of how beneficial it is for Lily.

Please don't explain to me how it will get better.

We're over seven months in, and I still hate breastfeeding. I have a freezer stash that's ridiculous (we're not even into our August milk and it's mid-September); I pump enough most days that Jeff barely has to give a bottle that's not fresh while I'm at work; we have a designated "Mother's Room" at work, and my boss has no issues with the breaks I take to pump.

I still hate breastfeeding.

So, more than seven months later, why do I do it?

1) It's economical. (Formula costs a lot more than what I produce.)

2) It's "best" for Lily. (Read the campaigns. There's no overwhelming evidence to encourage formula.)

3) It soothes our daughter. (Even though it usually hurts me like a bitch.)

Yes, I've seen the lactation consultants. Yes, I've discussed--and tried--changing her latch, switching the flange size, or altering positions. Yes, I've read every article and soaked up every post on how to make breastfeeding more comfortable/rewarding/enjoyable.

None of that has changed how I feel. I resent the fact that I'm Lily's primary nutrition source. It pisses me off that every day ends with me pumping... and the next morning starts the same way. I hate the guilt I feel from a "pump and dump." I have such intense anger about the way my body has become the property of my daughter instead of the property of me and my husband.

So, I will continue to breastfeed--because I understand the benefits, because I logically see why I should, because our finances dictate it.

But for anyone out there reading this post and experiencing what I am, I have to reassure you that you are not alone. That I don't know if it's okay or appropriate or approved, but that I, too, hate breastfeeding.

P.S. This post doesn't include a photo. Because I'd prefer none are taken of Lily nursing. Because, again, I don't find that action, or myself doing that action, beautiful--and I have no desire to preserve it for posterity.

(I originally wrote this post Saturday night but removed it this morning, embarrassed of what I'd written. However, at Jalara's encouragement--who saw it before I took it down--I'm trying to be courageous and repost it. I haven't changed any of the original post.)

5 comments:

  1. I wrote this comment on another post because she took this down and I wanted to show her my support. She asked me to re-post it her and I am happy to:

    As an LC I can absolutely promise you that you are not the only woman to feel this way - and you have nothing to be ashamed of! BFing isn't for everyone and that fact that you are putting yourself through something that is so horrible for you for your daughter (for the reasons you stated) speaks very highly of your character as a mother and a person.

    I'm sorry you are going through this. I'm honestly amazed that you are - you are amazing. I'm so impressed by you right now. And I think it takes real courage to speak openly and honestly like this. Anyone who doesn't understand this truly doesn't appreciate the difficult side of breastfeeding.

    Be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very brave of you to post this. I think it's important to let people know that there is another side to breastfeeding. You are letting others know who feel the same way that they are not alone. Which in my opinion, is good. So thank you.

    But I am sorry that you still hate it so much. I think you are one amazing mom to put yourself through this for Lily. I love you and I am cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quit breastfeeding after about 2 weeks. I felt terrible mom guilt for a few months, I had a great supply for those 2 weeks, he had a great latch, but I hated it. I felt chained to him, I resented that my husband could just make him a bottle while I slept.
    So you are not alone! I'm proud of you for sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about this--"I resent the fact that I'm Lily's primary nutrition source. It pisses me off that every day ends with me pumping... and the next morning starts the same way. I hate the guilt I feel from a "pump and dump." I have such intense anger about the way my body has become the property of my daughter instead of the property of me and my husband."--rings so incredibly true with me. I wish I could be as honest and articulate as you have been. Hang in there, Mama. You're doing awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing amazing, mama. Big hugs! I can definitely identify with a lot of your emotions here.

    ReplyDelete