Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Days, Weeks, Months, Years, Decades...

Wherever we go, I'm asked how old Lily is. My response elicits all kinds of reactions: "Oh my--so tiny!" or "I can hardly remember when mine were that small!" seem most popular. But the question has meant that I've been thinking a lot lately about how time is measured. As we hit the start of summer and look forward to Lily's growth--both physical and mental, I'm also so aware of the dwindling number of days I have at home as just us two before I go back to teaching in the fall. And so, once again, my mind falls to that measurement of time.

Days...


It's hard now to remember back to early February, to recall those sleepless nights in the hospital (right above) or that first trip to the pediatrician (left above), when everything was measured in days (and sometimes in hours). When someone would ask, "How old is she?" and I'd say "four days" and think "what was life like five days ago?" A tiny life measured in such a small amount of time, yet we were so aware of how blessed we were to have held her in our arms for two days, or three, or four.

Weeks...


Lily's life inside me began by being measured in weeks--weeks that began almost a year ago now. When she came out, it was no different; I was so grateful when another Saturday had passed, when she was another week older, when she seemed just a bit less fragile and bit more ready for the world. Each set of seven days inched by ever so slowly, and I was so ready for it to be the next week every time. I think I'm starting to understand now, though, why everyone says that time flies faster than you can ever realize when you're mired deep inside of it.

Months...


After Lily passed twelve weeks old, I realized that counting in weeks no longer mattered and that it truly was the months that marked the passage of time. I began reading books that would tell me what developmental milestones I might see in the next month or how I could help her develop new skills. Now, at nearly four months, it's hard to believe that she's rolling (both ways!), reaching for her toys on her activity mat and pulling them to her, and happily bouncing on her chubby little legs to whatever is playing on the radio as we support her torso. I'm shocked that the months are starting to fly, that I'm having to imagine leaving her for several hours a day when she's just six months old.

Years...


The photo above is from my 35th birthday. We'd lost Blueberry earlier that year, and the age just felt devastating to me, as it's when the medical community classifies a woman as AMA: Advanced Maternal Age. I was supposed to be having a baby at 35, not wondering what treatments would cost and facing a slew of tests and possible surgeries. It felt like such a lost cause that another year had passed without the ability to achieve the one thing I wanted so desperately. (Jeff's surprise of a weekend in southern Virginia and a special chocolate cake certainly improved the memories, though!)

Decades...


On Tuesday, my mum turns 70. She marks the start of a new decade with her granddaughter, with her daughter becoming a mom herself, with watching her husband take on the role of Granddaddy. As I watch my mom age by a decade but be in awe of her granddaughter aging in days, weeks, and months, I can only pray I grow old with such grace, such beauty, and such faith. 

I look forward to the decades to come--and the days, and the weeks, and the months, and the years.

4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking that it was about time for another post from you! This one was especially great, with the adorable pictures of Lily (and you). It is amazing how fast time goes by, so enjoy every moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have me sitting here in tears. Such a beautiful post. I love the pic of you, Lily, and your mom. Time does go so quickly. The best we can do is breathe it all in and enjoy each moment, engraving it deeply in our minds and hearts.
    Everytime I see a pic of sweet Lily I just want to reach through the screen and hold her. She is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how BIG she is now! And that final shot of you and her and your mum...well, it's just a keeper. I want to be your mom one day. Not to have you for a daughter, I mean!! No, just to be as classy and cool as she is!! :-O Love this post, Tory, as we face our first decade birthday for our daughter. It is impossible to believe she's been with us 10 years already. I remember her as the peanut you posted in your first pictures!! Be well, my sweet, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tory! This is Alexa. This is most likely a very random post, but I was thinking about you lately and wanted to reconnect. I emailed a year ago but most likely emailed the wrong account :) I see that all is well with you ... you look so happy! Congrats on the little one and hope to hear from you soon...(alexa.palmer@loop.colum.edu)

    ReplyDelete