Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Brussels Sprouts and Chicken Pasta

Yesterday, on the way home from lunch with friends, Jeff and I mentioned that we really needed to do our grocery shopping for the week. Our good friend, M, actually snorted from the backseat. When we inquired about her reaction, she informed us that, when she needs to shop, it's because there's literally one yogurt left in her fridge; however, when we need to shop, there's barely space in our refrigerator already. As far as I was concerned, M's observation was a challenge--and I say, "Challenge Accepted."

So, last night for dinner, we did one of our favorite tricks to use up miscellaneous produce: pizza night. Using a pre-made dough from Trader Joe's, we loaded our pizza with everything in the fridge that was on its last legs: scallions, green peppers, bratwurst, tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, and even some arugula sprinkled across the top. The pies turned out delicious, and Jeff has dinners for nights at work this week!

However, I wasn't ready to throw in the towel yet. As a result, knowing we still had chicken breasts and shaved Brussels sprouts (another great product from Trader Joe's!), I went on a hunt for recipes this morning. I found two of particular interest: Chicken Breast with Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Pasta with Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Pancetta. With a whole lot of (well-acted) bravado, I stepped into the kitchen tonight--and, if I do say so myself--the results were tremendous!

I almost forgot to take a picture, so this is only 1/3-1/2 of a serving left!

Ingredients:
1 (heaping) cup farfalle (bowtie) pasta
1 chicken breast
1 garlic clove (minced)
2 cups shaved Brussels sprouts (if you don't have access to pre-cut ones, just slice thinly)
2 broccoli stems (no florets needed!)
5 pieces crispy (turkey) bacon
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (to taste)

Sous-chef reporting for duty--thank goodness for the new bench!


Directions:

1) Place chicken and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Immediately remove from heat, cover, and let stand 15 minutes. Drain chicken and run under cold water. Cool completely; set aside. Using 2 forks, shred into bite-size pieces; reserve.

2) Cook (turkey) bacon according to package directions.

3) Cook pasta according to package directions.

3) Using a vegetable peeler, peel off the topmost layer of the broccoli stems and discard. Then, continue peeling in long, thin strips. (When I got to the point where it was too thin to keep peeling, I just sliced the remaining stem very thinly.)

4) In a wok (or large saute pan), heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Once heated, add garlic. Cook for approximately 3 minutes, until fragrant. Next, add in Brussels sprouts and shaved broccoli stems. Toss with garlic and continue to cook as vegetables soften, adding salt and pepper.

5) Once vegetables are tender, add shredded chicken, cooked pasta, and crumbled bacon to the wok, continuing to toss. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil (to taste), grated Parmesan cheese (to taste), and juice of 1/2 lemon. Put into bowls and drizzle balsamic vinegar on top.

6) Enjoy!

** For my gluten-free friends--I'm thinking of you, Jenn!--I imagine you could forgo the pasta and add more shaved broccoli stems since they're almost the consistency of pasta! **

Jeff says I can make this as often as I like--he's clearly a fan!

4 comments:

  1. That looks really really good! And pretty easy to make as well.

    Thanks for thinking of me. :) I could always use GF pasta, as it's pretty tasty.

    And go you for using up food in your fridge! It's always a challenge but definitely worth it to not waste food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another delicious looking meal! I LOVE brussel sprouts but never cook them because my husband hates all things green and healthy! But I might have to do this one for myself either way! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cooked this last night and it was divine!!! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad, LauraKat! Jeff "made" me make it again this week, and it looks like it's on rotation for this upcoming weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete