Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

1 + 1 = 2 (usually)

(A forewarning, family and friends: this one is raw and hurting.)

When I was little, my parents did their best to raise me in a world that was black and white. Taking my older brother's Lego was wrong; sharing my snack with him was right. Griping to get a higher grade was wrong; admitting I'd gotten extra, unwarranted points on a test was right. Things were simple: one + one = two, and the world made some logical sense. And that was okay by me--because I usually did what was "right."

In the last nine months, though, I've been proven wrong.

See, I've done everything "right." I made sure I was eating healthy and got well back within my "optimal" weight range. I cut out caffeine, alcohol, and sushi (per my RE's instructions), once we'd finished our IUI. I prayed daily for my delight in the Lord as he would grant the desires of my heart. And I offered support and love to those pregnant and with newborns as they faced new chapters of their lives.

So, isn't that supposed to equal a baby?

I suppose that, in the way the world works, it doesn't. It equals tears and heartbreak and angst and pain. But that just doesn't seem FAIR to me--I like it when I know what I'm supposed to do, and an expected result appears. I don't understand why other women are granted their hearts' desires and I am not--over and over again. I don't want to be a role model of optimism and joy--I just want to be a mom. And it seems, well, unfair.

As it turns out, 1 + 1 doesn't always = 2. And good behavior + an honest heart's desire doesn't = a pregnancy. That still seems unfair tonight, and it still hurts. And as much as I continue to trust and know that our Father has a hope and a plan for our future, it doesn't cease my anger or heal my heart.

So, friends, that's where I am, in a very raw place tonight. I love to offer you optimism and hope, but that's in short supply at the moment. Instead, I offer you honesty and truth, and I await the Lord's guidance on where that leads me.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so, so, sorry, dear friend. I wish I could take this hurt away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stasy. How I love you--and you know all the reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ((hugs)) my love. It's okay to feel this way. It's completely normal and justified. I am thinking of you tonight and sending wonderful strength filled thoughts your way. May tomorrow be a little brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very sorry Tory. Don't worry about mustering up hope and optimism right now--we'll take care of it for you, and you can join back in when you're ready. Be kind to yourself and know that I'm thinking about you and cursing the unfairness with the worst (best) words I can think of (and as a fellow English teacher, you know we can come up with some good ones!).

    ReplyDelete