Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

An Army of Warriors


In past years, when something major was about to take place in my life, I usually called two people: my mom and one of my best friends, S. They're the two people I know who pray by buckling on the full suit of spiritual armor, and they have an army who they'll call out on my behalf. As a result, it's no surprise that both of them (and S's mom, and my mom's prayer buddies) will be praying for Jeff and me at 6AM tomorrow morning when we head to the hospital for my hysteroscopy.

But here's the cool thing: for the first time in many, many years, I, too, have amassed an army of prayer warriors who are coming out in full battle regalia tonight and into the morning. They range from the wives and mothers in my small group to single women at our church, from close friends who live far away to the incredible women in my online support group who have also experienced losses and the surgeries that can follow. For the first time in a long time, I'm going into this one with my "feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the Gospel of peace" (Ephesians 6:15).

And so, when I think of rising bright and early tomorrow morning, putting on my comfortable clothes and preparing to be poked with needles and put into "twilight sedation" while Jeff anxiously awaits updates, I have no fear. Swimming in my head aren't images of hospital gowns and cold operating tables; instead, I envision that awesome scene in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. 



Do you remember it? The battle's being waged at Helm's Deep, and things aren't looking good. The army of Rohan and the lone hero Aragorn are doing their best to resist the onslaught of Saruman, but it's not going well--not by a long shot. And then, all of a sudden, there's this bright light from the East pouring over the exhausted, hopeless armies: Gandalf has arrived with his train of reinforcements prepared to wage battle on behalf of their friends and allies.

Thanks for waging fearsome prayer battles on my behalf tomorrow, friends. I'm so blessed to be surrounded by such a fierce army.

UPDATE, 8pm: Surgery was swift, simple, and successful! The doctor is pleased with the outcome, there were no surprises, and Jeff, S, and M have spent the day ordering me back onto the sofa while they pamper me to ridiculously wonderful levels. Once again, I thank our God for you, sweet friends, who have been supporting me from near and far.

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about you and hoping everything went well this morning...and so happy to be a part of this army.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, thank you so much for being a warrior for me! You might be far, but you're nestled so close in my heart--your support in this journey means the world to me!

    ReplyDelete